Equipment & Competency
Pleas take your time to read over this page and printing it out so you and your team are well aware of what is needed to take part in the event. Please check it weekly for any updates
For ALL disciplines:
- Whistle – 1 Per Team Member
- Head Lamp – 1 Per Competitor – Batteries required to last you 24 hours
- Shell Top Layer – 1 Per Competitor – Must be waterproof and have a hood
- Base Layer Top – 1 Per TCompetitor – Long Sleeve
- Base Layer Head – 1 Per Competitor – Beanie or “Buff”
- Sleeping Bag / Bivvy Bag – 1 Per Team
- Space Blanket – 1 Per Competitor
- Magnetic Compass – 1 Per Team
- Cell Phone – 1 Per Team – Phone to be fully charged, off and water sealed
- Knife – 1 Per Team – Folding Knife
- First Aid Kit – 1 Per Team
Compulsory Equipment for Mountain Bike
- Mountain Bike – 1 Per Competitor
- Helmet – 1 Per Competitor
- Front Light – 1 Per Competitor
- Back Light – 1 Per Competitor
Compulsory Equipment for Water Leg
- PFD/Life Jacket – 1 Per Competitor
- Glow Stick / Illumination Device – 1 Per Competitor (To be worn on top of PFD)
- At least one member of the team must be capable of navigating by compass and map during the day and night. The team must be able to orientate a map, identify grid references on a map, take a bearing between two points on a map, and understand the impact of magnetic declination.
- The teams must be able to describe what their team would do if it becomes lost.
- At least one member of the team should have experience in basic First Aid.
- All team members must be suitably competent in all disciplines included in the event as specified by the race organizer and be able to complete the event without any assistance from any person other than own team members.
- The following Kayaking Skills must be mastered: managing a capsized craft in deep water; righting and emptying a craft in deep water; getting back in and continuing paddling.
- Swimming 100m of any stroke.
- There will be no competency checks at registration. By entering this event, teams acknowledge that they are competent in all the skills required to complete an event of this nature.
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY AND ASSUMPTIONS
You and your team together are responsible entirely for carrying suitable and appropriate equipment, clothing and sustenance for the climate, conditions and activities in the event. This Mandatory Equipment List is NOT a list of the only items you should take. It contains the mandatory items that you and your team must carry with you, at specified times, to meet minimum safety requirements by law, prevent and/or treat SOME potential injuries, and short term survival purposes (for example a seriously injured team member, in a stationary position, overnight in bad weather). It assumes your team members
will NOT separate during the race and that you may share between members the mandatory equipment that must be carried. You will certainly need additional equipment, clothing, food and drink for your participation in the event.
RECOMMENDED AND INFERRED ITEMS
The following items, categories of equipment or related items, are either strongly recommended by organisers, or assumed to be an inferred requirement as competitors must have an understanding of adventure racing, the activities they will be participating in, and general outdoor adventure knowledge and experience.
‣ Backpacks and water carrying containers/ bladders/ bottles.
‣ Foods and sustenance, sufficient until the next re-supply point, including emergency quantities.
‣ Personal race clothing and footwear suitable for extreme conditions (including accessories such as hats/ gloves, eye protection, watch/altimeter as required and clothing for water activities such as wetsuits).
‣ Waterproofing/ dry bags to keep personal and team equipment as dry as necessary.
‣ Water purification device or chemicals – to avoid illness from drinking contaminated water.
‣ Personal medications, permitted analgesics, therapeutic medicines, medical insurance certificates, allergy
or illness identification, sun protection.
‣ Money/ Credit card, personal identification card/ Passport, immigration or visa certificates.
‣ Cycle repair kit (including pump, tubes, tools and spare parts).
‣ Additional and back up Mandatory/ Recommended and Inferred items in re-supply boxes as permitted.
‣ Map waterproofing and route plotting equipment. Different colors pens, sellotape, scissors etc.
RULES – As a competitor, you and your team are required to carry the mandatory equipment items with you at the specified times. Checks of mandatory equipment may occur during the race and missing equipment may result in penalties or disqualification as per the race rules. If any items are used/ consumed/lost during a leg, they must be replaced at the next transition point.
The mandatory equipment is divided into two categories, equipment you and your team must carry at ALL times, and equipment you and your team must carry during a specific DISCIPLINE.